Driver’s License In Nigeria; Requirements, Apply, Renew & Cost
Today’s article gives full insight on how to obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria, requirements, renewal process, how much it cost to register a new driving license in Nigeria, and also other important information on the Nigerian driving license.
Seeing young adults drive has become common in today’s environment, it’s critical to discuss how this can be accomplished legally and what it would entail.
It is of course, mandatory, to own a driver’s license to acclaim legal driving in Nigeria and to have a smooth driving experience on Nigerian roads without having to worry about law enforcement agencies.
What is Nigerian driver’s license and why is it important?
A driver’s license is a legal document issued by a government agency (the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) in Nigeria) that grants an individual the right to drive or authorizes them to operate motor vehicles on public roads.
Driving without a driver’s license is prohibited and punishable in Nigeria. A driver’s license can be obtained in Nigeria by anyone who is over the age of 18. However, age isn’t the only criterion that must be met before a driver’s license can be issued in Nigeria. There are actions to take and additional conditions to meet.
In this article, we will be discussing everything you need to know about Nigeria’s driver’s license; how it is obtained, how much it costs, the requirements for obtaining one, how long it is valid for, and of course, the category of people that are entitled to owning one.
Requirements for Obtaining a Driver’s License in Nigeria
Obtaining a Driver’s License in Nigeria takes certain procedures. One of these is to ensure you meet the requirements.
In Nigeria, the following requirements must be met before applying for a driver’s license:
- Must be 18 years or above 18 years of age.
- Have a learner’s permit
- National Identification Number (NIN)
- VIO Test certificate
- Eye test result from any FRSC-approved Health center
- Birth certificate / Age declaration
- Certificate of driving school
- Evidence of Driver’s permit payout
- You must’ve attended a driving school and successfully completed the phases required of you.
VIO Test Certificate
A VIO Test Certificate is a document presented to one after successfully passing his driving test. VIO is an acronym for Vehicle Inspection Officer. One of these officers would be present to test your driving skills after which a certificate will be presented to you upon successfully scaling the test.
A learner’s permit is a legal document that allows a prospective driver’s license applicant to practice and develop his or her driving skills for a period of not less than three months. This document is obtained on behalf of the learner by the trainer.
Driver’s License Number
This is an 8-digit code found on your driver’s license or photo identification card. It helps with the renewal of your driver’s license upon expiry and of course, to identify if you’re holding a fake or an original driver’s license.
Procedures Taken to Obtain a Driver’s License in Nigeria
Follow the procedures below to obtain a driver’s license in Nigeria:
- Attend a licensed driving school for training.
- A Vehicle Inspection Officer (VIO) will conduct a driving test for you which will be arranged by your driving school.
- You will receive a certificate of proficiency from the VIO once you pass the driving test.
- Apply for a driver’s license either by visiting any Driver’s Licensing Center around you or online via the FRSC website (https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org).
- Proceed to payment, either by visiting the bank or online.
- Once your payment is verified, you will receive an acknowledgement slip if you apply online. This slip should be printed.
- Proceed with this slip to the Driver Licensing Center (DLI) and present this slip to the Vehicle Inspection Officer (VIO) and the Board of Internal Revenue (BIO) for endorsement.
- For biometric data capture, go to the FRSC Officer at the DLC.
- You will be granted a temporary driver’s license that will be valid for 60 days until the original driver’s license becomes available for pickup.
Information Required When Filling the Driver’s License Application Form
For every form, certain personal information is required. In a driver’s license application form, certain personal information about yourself is required. Some of this information are:
- Your title (Mr/Miss/Mrs)
- First name
- Other names
- Place of Birth
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Home Address
- State of origin and LGA
- Telephone number
- Mother’s maiden name
- Blood group
- Information regarding your next of kin: Full name, Phone number and Nationality
- Years of validity (3 or 5 years)
This application form can be completed online or at the Driver’s Licensing Center, as previously stated (DLC). The form is straightforward to fill out, but you must write or type carefully to avoid errors. Ensure that you double-check your answers before submitting them.
Driver’s License Cost in Nigeria
Below is a breakdown of the prices expected of you to pay to obtain your driver’s license.
Please note that there may be fluctuations in prices. It is thus necessary to plan ahead for a 10% increase in the prices stated below.
|Driver’s License Fee(3 years)||₦12,000.00|
|Driver’s License Fee (5 years)||₦15,000.00|
|Driving school certificate||₦8,000.00|
|VIO Test Certificate||₦1,000.00|
|Eye Test Certificate||₦500.00|
How to Renew a Driver’s License
As earlier stated, one may pay for a 3-year or 5-year validity of the driver’s license.
Often people ask, “what next after it expires?” This section speaks about that.
You may renew your driver’s license once it has expired. This is accepted in Nigeria and is done following the procedures below:
- Visit the official FRSC website (https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/)
- Upon visiting the website, you’d see “DL Application.” Click on it
- A drop-down menu appears showing 3 different options.
- Click “Renew Driver’s License”
- Fill in the required details which are your Driver’s License number and your date of birth. This is done to obtain information about yourself on their website.
- Make payments.
- Proceed to the closest DLC to acknowledge your payment and re-apply for a new driver’s license card.
- Obtain the temporary one that’ll be valid for a period of 60 days after which the original one would be readily available.
- After 60 days, proceed to the BIR office to pick up your original Driver’s License.
Validity of a Driver’s License
In pursuit of money, quite a number of fraudsters now process fake drivers’ licenses for individuals. It is thus essential to check for the validity of your driver’s license.
How do you know if your driver’s license is original?
Here’s a simple guide on how to identify if your driver’s license is an original one or a fake one:
- Visit the official FRSC website
- Click “DL Application”
- Click on “Renew Driver’s License”
- Enter your driver’s license number and your date of birth
- If your information appears, your driver’s license is on original one
- However, if no information regarding yourself appears, then your driver’s license is a counterfeit one.
- Ensure that you enter the correct details about yourself.
How to Check your Driver’s License Information
This can be done by sending the message “NDL STATUS License Number” to 33811. Send this message using the number you used to apply for your driver’s license. This SMS attracts a fee of ₦50. After sending this message, you’ll get all the necessary information regarding your driver’s license.
Read Also: Driver’s License In Ghana; Requirements, Apply, Renew & Cost
Can anyone apply for a Nigerian driver’s license?
No, only people of ages 18 and above can apply for a driver’s license in Nigeria.
Is getting a driver’s license important in Nigeria for every road user?
Yes. Just as driving is important to you, a driver’s license is important as well. This will help you avoid having issues with the road agencies, particularly the FRSC as owning a driver’s license is the only way to show that you are driving lawfully.
Do I have to go to a driving school before obtaining a driver’s license in Nigeria?
Normally, your trainer would stand as a proxy for the receipt of your learner’s permit, an important document required to obtain a driver’s license. Thus, the importance of attending a driving school cannot be overstated.