Driver’s License In Ghana; Requirements, Apply, Renew & Cost
Are you a foreigner or a citizen of Ghana and do you need in-depth information about the cost of driver’s license in Ghana including how to apply, requirements, and how to renew your expired driver’s license in Ghana? This post will do justice to that as we have all you need well explained here.
Driving in Ghana can be challenging for foreigners because roads outside of big towns are poorly maintained, whereas main routes in major cities are paved and properly maintained.
In Ghana, traffic and speeding are severe problems that are primarily responsible for the high number of road accidents.
However, it has recently been discovered that the majority of these accident victims are under the age of 18, driving on public roadways and raising a ruckus. It is for this reason that the use of a driver’s license was introduced, in order to assure lawful driving and, of course, the safety of people and property.
What is the purpose of driver’s license?
A driver’s license is a government-issued document that allows a person to operate one or more types of motorized vehicles on public roads.
How’s a driver’s license useful?
A driver’s license is a government-issued document. As a result, it is the only document that certifies a person’s ability to drive. It’s the sole piece of paper that will keep you out of trouble with your country’s traffic authorities. It’s the only piece of documentation that proves you’re legally allowed to drive.
Requirements for Obtaining a Driver’s License in Ghana
Before applying for a Ghanian driver’s license, you must meet up the following requirements:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Before applying for a driver’s license, you must first obtain a learner’s permit for a duration of three (3) months.
- Ensure you have the required documents:
- The Certificate of a Driving School
- Passport photograph
- A Certificate of Eye Examination
- New temporary license (gog)
- Photograph for a temporary driver’s license
- The result of the written test
- Before applying for a driver’s license, you must have taken driving lessons.
- The applicant must verify that the issuing officer is in possession of a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) Identity card.
- Applicants must undergo an eye test
- Applicants must undergo a driving test and must pass this test.
- Applicants must apply in person.
Procedures for Obtaining a Ghanian Driver’s License
Follow the procedures below to apply for a driver’s license in Ghana:
- At the DVLA, get the F and F1 forms and fill them out.
- Physical and eye examinations will then be conducted for you.
- A driver’s license permit along with some other things will be given to you upon passing the tests.
- A 2-day compulsory driving training will then be conducted for you at a recognized driving school.
- You’ll then undergo biometric screening and will be scheduled for a written test.
- You’ll then proceed to the oral test.
- Then you’ll do an in-traffic test.
- Upon successfully completing these tests, you’ll be asked to make payments for your driver’s license and P-plate.
- You’d be given a temporary driver’s license pending the period the original one would be available.
Renewing Driver’s License in Ghana
Every two years, from the date of issuance, all driver’s license holders must renew their licenses. The driver’s license expires after two years, hence this is required.
You can renew your driver’s license either online or physically. To renew your Ghanaian driver’s license online, follow the steps outlined below:
- Visit the official website of the Driver’s Licensing Agency in Ghana
- Whilst registering for a new driver’s license, you must’ve had a username and password to log in to the account. Enter these details when you click the link above.
- Successfully log in to the DVLA portal.
- Click on driver’s license
- Amongst the options, you’d come across the “Renew Driver’s License” option. Click this option.
- Proceed to pay for the F1 form.
- You’ll be scheduled for another eye test.
- Pay for the renewal of your license.
However, if you’re visiting the driver’s license center, it is Mandatory to take along with you, the expired driver’s license and a coloured passport photograph of yourself. Your physical presence would also be required.
Cost of Obtaining a Driver’s License in Ghana
To obtain a new driver’s license in Ghana, it costs a total of GHC 260; the learner’s permit costs GHC 160, the road sign test is GHC 50 and the driving test costs GHC 50.
- Renewing a driver’s license costs GHC 155
- Upgrading of driver’s license costs GHC 345
- Replacement of a lost driver’s license costs GHc 205
- Conversion of a foreign driver’s license to a Ghanian driver’s license costs GHc 445
How do you convert a foreign driver’s license to a Ghanian driver’s license?
A lot of people ask questions pertaining to this. Of course, it is possible to convert a foreign driver’s license to a Ghanian one. To convert a foreign driver’s license to a Ghanian driver’s license, follow the procedures below:
- Applicants must visit the head office of the DVLA in Ghana.
- Applicants must be in possession of the following required documents:
- Your foreign driver’s license written in English Language and if otherwise, a translation in English Language written by a certified translator.
- Passport photograph
- Valid passport
- Original and photocopy of valid proof of residential permit
- Employment letter
- Non-citizen registration card
- Original receipt of payment for driver’s license
- Results of driving test and eye examination
- Buy the application form for a Ghanian driver’s license
- Enter all required information
- Attach photocopies of the required documents on your application form.
- Make necessary payments
- Receive your driver’s license once it’s available.
Is it mandatory to have a driver’s license before driving on Ghana’s roads?
Yes, it is very important and mandatory, this will save you from being arrested and serve as safety for other road users.
Can I drive in Ghana with an Expired Driver’s License when the renewal process is ongoing?
No, you can’t. You’d have to wait for the renewed license to be issued to you.
How long does it take to get a driver’s license in Ghana?
It takes approximately two(2) weeks to get a new driver’s license in Ghana and about three(3) weeks to convert a foreign driver’s license to a Ghanian driver’s license.
Can one drive at ages below 18 years in Ghana?
Yes, you can. However, you must possess a learner’s permit. A learner’s permit shows that you’re qualified to drive but cannot because of your age, own a driver’s license.