Creating a Podcast to generate income and work from home or from anywhere in the world is one of the options available today thanks to the internet. The podcasting format has had significant growth in recent years.
If you have ever considered creating a podcast to share your interests and knowledge with the world, here is a guide on how to create a Podcast and generate income.
Things you need to create a podcast
Below you have all the information to create your Podcast. First of all, it will be to:
Establish a goal and central theme
You can create a podcast about anything, there are even podcasts about podcasts, but it’s up to you to decide what your base topic will be and what exactly your goal is.
To know well what the objective of your Podcast will be, the first thing you have to consider is if you are interested in creating a podcast aimed at highlighting your knowledge at a professional level or if you are interested in doing it as an amateur in your free time.
“What can I talk about?”
This is one of the most common questions and the answer is simple: if you are going to create a podcast focused on a professional objective, the ideal is to focus on topics in your niche that can attract your target audience.
If it is an amateur podcast, focus on the topic that entertains you the most, in which you have the greatest knowledge and confidence: Games, languages, cinema, music, history, comedy… Surely you have a topic with a lot to say.
Select a format
There are many podcast formats to choose from, selecting yours will depend on whether what you want is a podcast that you will do alone, have the support of one or more co-organizers, conduct interviews, a round table or rely on a documentary-type format.
It is also possible to create a podcast that plays with different formats in each episode. In fact, this may be the best option. Some podcasts are just you, others where you interview or talk to other people related to your topic, etc.
Define name + cover image
This part is extremely important when creating a podcast because it is the first impression that your future listeners will have.
An attractive cover and name that stands out, gives some clue or generates curiosity about what your programs will be like is ideal.
For the image, keep in mind that listeners will probably see a thumbnail, so try not to make it loaded with details that later cannot be appreciated in the way they deserve.
On the name side, look for something easy to remember, easy to say out loud, catchy, or something that communicates a particular emotion related to the topic you plan to base your podcast on.
Actually, you don’t need too many tools to create and record a podcast, just have a computer with an internet connection, a USB microphone and headphones, the rest can be expanded and renewed as time progresses and you grow with your podcast.
Recording and editing software
You will also need software that allows you to record and edit audio, on the web you will find multiple free tools to do this, some of the most popular are:
- Audacity – A free and very easy-to-use tool.
- Adobe Audition – Mix, edit, and create audio content in Adobe Audition using a comprehensive set of tools.
- Logic Pro X – A complete professional recording studio for the Mac with everything you need to go from first note to final master.
- Anchor – You can create, distribute, host and monetize your podcast, 100% free.
Once you have recorded your Podcast, the next step will be to upload it to a platform so that it can be listened to. To do this, there are multiple options, the ideal is to upload your Podcast to as many as possible to reach the greatest number of people. The most popular are the following:
- Spotify: the most popular music app is a great option to upload your podcasts with the possibility of attracting many listeners per month. Who doesn’t use Spotify these days?
- YouTube: it is an ideal option, especially if your podcast is also recorded in video form, remember that you also have the option to monetize, and not only that, it is the second most visited search engine in the world so you can reach many people. If you have a Podcast, upload it to YouTube.
- Anchor: This platform, a partner of Spotify, has gained some popularity in the world of podcasts, and at least in the United States, it already allows its podcasters to create a podcast and monetize it.
- Google Podcast: the giant that is Google would not be left behind in the podcast fashion and is another good option to publish your content in this format.
- Apple Podcast: Being on this platform is the best way to reach Apple usersafter creating your podcast.
- Spreaker: despite being a platform that can be monetized, it does not have that many users, however, Spreaker is associated with Spotify and allows you to easily create and distribute your own podcast.
- Soundcloud – In some countries Soundcloud is still a pretty solid platform for hosting your podcast, promoting it, and generating statistics on each of your episodes.
How to make money with a podcast
You already know how to create a podcast, now the question is: how to monetize a podcast? There are several options here.
Monetize directly with the platform
Several platforms that we mentioned above allow you to monetize the episodes (in exchange they insert advertisements and spots in some parts of the program) and/or paid subscriptions. These platforms are Anchor (only monetizable in the United States), Spreaker, and YouTube are some of them.
As your podcast reaches some recognition, it may be a good time to start establishing alliances with sponsoring brands that will support you financially when generating content in this format, all in exchange for you reserving a space in your episodes to mention them. , thank them and tell your audience why they are brands worth knowing.
This is one of the most common ways for popular podcasters to make money from a podcast. As you build a good following, this option will become more viable. Receive support from your listeners on platforms like Patreon and in return you can give away exclusive pieces of content as a thank you.
An alternative to the sponsorship option is the inclusion of sporadic spots in some episodes. They can be generated by alliances with brands of shorter duration or for very specific actions. They are monetized based on duration and repetition.
Create a visibility platform
Especially if your podcast focuses mostly on some aspect of your professional side and you work it as an extension of other online platforms, for example, a blog or web store, you may not be able to directly monetize the podcast, but you can Use it strategically as a bridge so that your professional projects gain visibility and you can insert a “call to action” from time to time that leads listeners to your services.
You already know everything you need to know about how to create a podcast and make money. Now it’s your turn to get your act together and start your Podcast today, are you going for it?